Welcome to the Lake Wausau Association Website
Thank you for visiting us and for your interest in Lake Wausau!
Please note we are also on Facebook... you can follow us at Facebook: Friends of Lake Wausau.
Join Us at the Central Wisconsin Water Walkers Ski Shows
The Lake Wausau Association will be sponsoring free popcorn at two ski shows of the Central Wisconsin Water Walkers this summer. The ski shows are held on Lake Wausau on Sundays at 6:00 pm at 1800 S. 3rd Ave. in Wausau next to the Eagles' Club. The dates of the sponsored shows are July 22 and August 12. It is a great night of entertainment on Lake Wausau!
Lake Wausau Evaluation Project Nears Completion - Public Discussions for Development of the Lake Management Plan are Scheduled
We are pleased to share that our lake evaluation project is near completion and we are in the process of developing the formal Lake Management Plan (LMP), which will be our roadmap for maintaining, preserving, and improving Lake Wausau and its environment. The LMP is expected to be formalized and adopted by LWA by December 31, 2017. The public is invited to be involved in the development process. Please see our PRESS RELEASE pertaining to the public process for developing the formal Lake Management Plan for Lake Wausau, as well as the Proposed Process for Developing the Lake Management Plan. Dates and details for upcoming public meetings and agenda items/materials can be found at our Calendar of Events. See details below for a recap of the public meetings held.
Recap of Public Discussion on September 27, 2017
The first public discussion was held on Tuesday, September 27th. The discussion topics focused on a review of the aquatic plant surveys, strategies for the prevention and early response steps for aquatic invasive species, and fishery and habitat community and recommendations for improvements. Biologists and resource specialists shared data collected and recommendations, and responded to questions and suggestions. The meeting agenda and presentation materials can be found below for downloading and printing:
- Public Discussion Meeting Agenda for 9/27/17
- Aquatic Plant Survey Results Presentation - (Nancy Turyk, UWSP & Chris Hamerla, Golden Sands RC&D)
- Update on Fish Community and Recommendations - (Al Niebur, Wisconsin DNR)
Recap of Public Discussion on October 21, 2017
The second public discussion was held on Saturday, October 21st. The discussion topics focused on the hydrodynamic modeling results, watersheds, water quality, and land use. Scientists from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers presented strategies for water quality improvements in previously identified areas of Lake Wausau. They also presented alternativess and feasibility for the improvement of fish spawning habitat in the upper end of the lake. General water quality conditions as they relate to land management were also discussed with scientists from UWSP and WDNR. The meeting agenda, materials and recordings of the meetings can be found below for downloading, printing, and viewing:
- Public Disussion Meeting Agenda for 10/21/17
- Lake Wausau Water Quailty, Land Use Practices, Shorelands, and the Watershed Presentation - (Nancy Turyk, UWSP)
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Strategies for Water Quality Improvements for Lake Wausau
- Lake Wausau Water Quality, Land Use Practices, Shorelands, and the Watershed
If you would like to share any concerns, thoughts, or suggestions for consideration in the development of the LMP, please contact LWA at email@example.com or Nancy Turyk from UWSP at firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-346-4155.
For additional information regarding the work that has been done to date on this project, including draft reports of data collected by researchers, please see our Newsletters page.
2018 Membership Renewals
It's time for LWA membership renewals. Membership is open to any individual who enjoys Lake Wausau and wishes to be part of an organization that works to protect, maintain and enhance Lake Wausau. As a member, you'rll be entitled to voting rights on certain Lake Association matters; first hand updates on news, information, and events pertaining to Lake Wausau and its surroundings; opportunities to participate and be involved in one of our community's greatest resources; and inclusion in a network of lake users building stronger bonds within our community.
Renew your membership or join LWA as a new member in 2018 and help us protect, maintain, and enhance Lake Wausau and its beautiful surroundings. Membership dues are a substantial part of our financial support and go toward efforts to improve Lake Wausau. So please help support our efforts to create a healthier lake by becoming a member today.
Lake Wausau Association, Inc.
P.O. Box 1952
Wausau, WI 54402-1952
We thank you for your continued support in helping us create a healthier Lake Wausau. Membership continues to grow as those in the community realize the value of this incredible resource outside our back doors. Renewing your membership and recruiting new members for continued membership growth is critical to our success! Our past and current member listings are published below.
See Membership Information to learn more about being a member.
Important Lake Resources and Contact Information
The following Companies service lake Wausau for dock removal:
- DuBay Waters - 715.344.2628
- Lakeside Dock & Lift Sales in Mincoqua - 715.358.7437
- Pelican Pieers LLC in Pelican Lake - 715.499.0885 or 715.628.0214 (will be working in Wausau weeks prior to the drawdown)
Please refer to the following contact information for questions or concerns:
- To report prohibited/harmful activities, please contact the WDNR hot-line at 1.800.847.9367 (24 hours, 7 days a week)
- For information related to permits for shoreline restoration projects or lake bed clean up, please contact one of the following:
- Kyle McLaughlin, WI DNR at Kyle.McLaughlin@wisconsin.gov
- Chris Hamerla, Golden Sands Resource Conservation & Development Council, Inc. at 715-343-6215 or e-mail email@example.com
- Dean Johnson, Marathon Co., Conservation, Planning and Zoning at 715.261.6031 (8am - 4:30pm, M-F) or e-mail Dean.Johnson@co.marathon.wi.us
- Click here to visit the WI DNR website for additional information about the permit process and exemptions.
- Click here for a list of well-suited native plant species for shoreland restorations.
- For questions regarding fishery/gaming please contact Tom Meronek at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For questions regarding boating/recreation and permitted activities, etc., please call Randy Dunkel, DNR Conservation Warden at 715.393.7473 or e-mail email@example.com
- For concerns or questions regarding health issues, please contact a Public Health Nurse by calling the Marathon County Health Department at 715-261-1900
- For concerns specific to Blastomycosis please click on the following links:
Marathon County Conservation, Planning and Zoning Department is working on implementation of restorations on private shoreland lots through a $100,000 Lake Protection Grant received from the WDNR. Marathon County can cost-share up to 70% for shoreland buffer restorations on private shoreland lots. Please click here for their flyer containing additional information.